Friday, March 9, 2012

Well, Don't You Think You're Something Special

I was in one of the larger medical buildings in Peoria.  Lots of different offices and several floors.  When I arrived, there were several folks being helped out of an accessible bus and heading for the elevators.  Some of them seemed to have physical difficulties--even in wheel chairs.  Some of them seemed to have developmental challenges.  One young man kept punching the elevator buttons over and over and over and laughing so gleefully as he did.  
A man, not related to the group, walked up and said in a very harsh voice, "Stop that!!"
The boy stopped, put his head down and began to cry.
I looked at the man who was looking at the folks with disdain and revulsion and I just could not stop myself....I said, "Are you a Christian?"
He said, quite surprised, "What?!?"
I said, "Are you a Christian?"
He said, "Well, not that it is any of your business, but yes."
I said, "How surprising!  Everything you've done so far would indicate that you are not.  The way you look at these folks, treat them, and talk to me certainly doesn't sound like anything I've ever read Jesus do in the scriptures."
The elevator opened and the man pushed past the folks and got in the elevator---not allowing ANY one else join him and said, "Well don't you just think you're something special?!!!" and made sure the elevator doors closed.
By this time one of the staff or volunteers had come in and asked what happened and the young man that had been playing with the elevator buttons looked right at the two of us with a great big grin and said, "Well the mean 'ol devil came in this building but the angel lady wouldn't let him be mean and so he went off to look for somebody else to be mean to!!"
Ok....so.........yes, it was a good day!
But in answer to the man's question:  No, I don't think I'm something special---but I did think those folks were pretty special...God's precious creations...beautiful as they are.

2 comments:

  1. let's try this one more time w/the initials as directed...DL...

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, well, it did work...thank you Rev...have a special weekend, be safe...DL...

    ReplyDelete